Monday, November 28, 2011

Leader training...again

I had a chance to retest myself on my own methods this past week.  Snowy conditions (not enough to sled on) caused me to drop back to small teams and use my Fritz Dyke cart.  I took 2 teams of 6 dogs out and so once again got to test some other members of the first string at lead.  I was really happy with the outcome, Tula and Bridget are really shaping into nice leaders.  I had the usual tussle with Tula about Gee Over.  She is a strong lefty.  I had to stop many times when we first started out.  So frustrating to do when you have a fresh team!  I did the usual gentle-pushing over.  Those moments of frustration (I really felt like giving up) are a great stage for the dawn of success.  So the praise is really heartfelt.  When Tula felt my admiration and appreciation she started to work for it!  My next step working on Gee Over is to not stop the team but ride the brake if I need to correct the leaders to gee Over more.  That step lasted only a short while before Tula and Bridget were perfectly Gee-d Over, and for the rest of the run!  Good job girls!
-Miss W
Owner and Musher
Barking Brook Sled Dog Adventures, llc
http://www.Barking-Brook.com

Bath Days

Hawthorne got a nice bath and brush out.